Wednesday 6 November 2013

Space wolves theme- Krakendoom, Ragnar or Logan

Trying to decide on which company to base my space wolves around has jumped a little over the ages. Orignally, back in 2nd edition, it was all about krakendoom. Back then very little detail about any of the leaders, let alone the great companies was available. All that defined krakendoom was his insignia of a sea-fairing wolf of sorts. So i attempted to establish his insigina on all my troops. I'll go on record now and say I don't have the most coordination with my painting, and even less when I was younger, and whilst I could just about manage waves, that was all I could manage.


With the relase of the 5th edition codex a significant amount of information was release for all the great companies. Hurray! only this is. The more they talked about the different companies, the more i found my personal unit preference leading to a different type of leader. After having read the 6 Ragnar series novels by Willaim King and Lee Lightner, I'd always had a soft spot for this leader, and only the lack of a suitably amazing model left me from diving headlong.



Logan Grimnar, probably the most respected and loved warrior in the whole galaxy. Not a bad lay to claim. Also doesn't take shit from Imperial authority or Chaos. He also strides quite menacingly with a giant axe and a suit a terminator armour. Sometimes it's nice for your leader to be some monstrous power cannon able to storm through anything. Normally that requires your leader to be biked/jetpacked/crisis suited up maximize it's impact. Personally I tend to like my leaders on their feet, or a best with a jump pack (aesthetically speaking at least, I don't undervalue the jetbike/bike etc). So then your leader should be able to help bolster your units. Well I like troops. Mechanised lists have massive appeal obviously, but for me often times the best armies are ones with interesting/entertaining/powerful troop choices. Space wolves (especially those lead by Grimnar), have that in spades. Grimnar can upgrade his unit with role specific skills, and also give every friendly unit within 18'' a +1 A once per game......with an army full of troops who like combat it can be a pretty impressive skill. But obviously he is pretty expensive.



Ultimately I've decided on Logan for the time being. I may still purchase a Ragnar model if they release a new one with the new space wolves codex whispered  for release mid 2014. But for me, for now, my company is that of the great wolf himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment